Thursday, December 13, 2012

Too early?!

Last night, I sent a friend a text message asking if she wanted to run the next morning. She responded, with a sigh, that she couldnt because she had a meeting at 8:30 in the morning. I stared at the text message in disbelief. I had even volunteered to meet her at her house, as opposed to our normal meeting spot by the lake which requires her to bike two miles each way. As far as I was concerned, needing to be somewhere at 8:30 am did not preclude her from running. There were dozens of times where I needed to be somewhere at 8 am, but just got up earlier to run. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted!*

Then I had an epiphany. Its me not her. I realized that my friend is no lazy or unmotivated, but that I am crazy. I am addicted to running. Its hard for me to grasp starting my day without (at least) a 5 mile run. While I do enjoy sleep and love my bed, I generally function better with an hour less of sleep and a five mile run. It has finally sunk in - this is not normal.

* It was supposed to be 30 degrees the next morning. If she had said it was too cold to run, I would have acquiesced. While I have a hard time wrapping my head around "too early," I understand that sometimes its just too cold to run outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment