Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ageing

On my 30th birthday, I tried to cower under my bed. My thirtieth birthday marked the end of “youth” and the beginning of responsible adulthood. I wanted nothing to do with being an adult. Alas, I was forced into daylight and week of wine-infused festivities. I could say it was horrible, But, who am I kidding. It was fabulous.

Thirty has come and gone. At first, I was ambivalent about turning 31. Then, I had an epiphany. Most of the women I run with are several years older than me AND they kick my but at workouts on a regular basis. Furthermore, in the past two years, they have set spectacular personal records in their running! Lets not forget their careers and families. They are kicking ass and taking names – mine included!

I have observed that women runners age powerfully! They grow strong and fabulous, rather than graefully refined. I declare that my thirties will be thrilling. I will run farther and faster (and pursue the other aspects of my life with similar energy). Its starting with a 50k (a poetic 31 miles).

No comments:

Post a Comment